Wednesday 27 October 2010

Wallpaper Screen printed

I have finally got round to choosing my wallpaper design and screen printing it so I can move on with the rest of the products I intend on making for this brief. After spending all day and more making the screens and printing, it is a fail. First of all the screen beds had been recently greeced and not wiped down so a large area on my paper got greece on it, meaning I couldn't use it for my final hand it, which was very frustrating. However looking back at it and evaluating it I decided infact I didn't like this pattern in full size, it just doesn't work as i had hoped. There are potential simple improvements I could make to it such as, adding more flowers and birds as there aren't really enough and as well as this changing the colour scheme because I really dont like these working together. Or my second option is to go back and redesign.


Redesigning does raise several questions to me and gives me the opportunity to improve on the areas I feel haven't worked on my first attempt. How can I make the wallpaper look more desirable? How can I use the current designs but in a more interesting and successful way? What colour scheme looks expensive and homely? These are the 3 most important questions I need to ask myself whilst redesigning the final wallpaper, these I feel are the 3 weak areas of my first attempt.


The colour scheme is really important to me, especially as I want it to feel like a Laura Ashley product, they have a very limited and fresh colour pallet, this doesn't fit in with their collection. Although it is a specialty wallpaper which gives me more freedom, this still moves too far away from what i am aiming for. I think for me to achieve this I will need to go collect some more samples and use a current colour pallet they have, and add something to my design or ink to make it more desirable.

No comments:

Post a Comment