Tuesday 12 October 2010

Birds Digitalized

A large amount of Laura Ashley wallpaper have birds on them, I dont particularly like the way most of them are illustrated this is definitely an area I decoded I wanted to concentrate on when I chose Laura Ashley and tropical. They are each illustrated very similar to how I have developed the flowers, with nib and ink then transfered onto the mac and added colour.


This first bird is the humming bird, I drew different images and narrowed it down to this one, its different to the others in that there are two birds perched on a brach. This gives me lots of opportunity to work with different flowers but more specifically the brach flower which I feel is going to be most ideal for this brief. The colours are in keeping with the Humming Bird however im not happy with the different shades I have chosen for the above illustration, it makes it look quite 'cartoony.' The choice of colour will follow through with the colours used for the flowers.

Second is the Honey Kreeper, this is my least favourite illustration, I dont like the way I have captured the wings, this bird is however in an ideal position for mixing it with flowers in an almost real life position. I just really dont like the original illustration its not as strong as the others so if i do chose to use the Honey Kreeper I will have to re illustrate.


I love the coloring for the kingfisher, they are such a vibrant beautiful array of colours and this introduces more to the choice to to the overall wallpaper colour. I love the illustration for this bird, its as simplistic as the others but it seems to work much better, I feel this is due to two things, firstly the colour and secondly the wings are not as viable as the other three, which is the main weakness on the other images. As much as I prefer this bird I do feel it will be the most difficult to mix with the flowers and it wouldn't work on its own.


Finally the Bee Eater, this is in a similar position to the Honey Kreeper, I dont like the coloring on this bird but that can easily be changed to make more neutral colours similar to the Kingfisher to make it more successful. The positioning and detail on this bird is much stronger than the above honey Kreeper, it will work really well with all the different shapes and sizes of flowers without dominating the wall. I think this area of the birds i really need feedback on I have found it hard to judge what does and doesn't seem to be work, outsiders views will really help in the crits.

No comments:

Post a Comment